Sunday, December 14, 2008

What am I doing wrong?

This entry is not a class assignment but I felt the need to comment. The other day Professor Kurpis asked for student’s option of the classroom environment and teaching style. All were positive in each respect, however many commented about their detachment to the exams. I have spent many days thinking about how and why I have scored or have not scored well on the management exams. And it took me a few days before I discovered my problem. Most management classes are taught based on a discipline, whereas Professor Kurpis teaches management based on a philosophy. I never knew so most emphasis through other philosophers such as Pollack or Fiedler was focused on the philosophy of management. So we say that we can’t find that connection between the class work, homework, and textbook study that would equate to a strong exam grade? I say the problem is not the actual exam but only the results of the way we have been previously taught the subject of business management. I believe in order to perform well on the exams, we need to re-learn the way we have been taught management. We need to think and apply learning techniques similar to the way we think about biology, chemistry, or a foreign language. Professor Kurpis has taught me that Business Management is a much deeper topic than I had original thought. And in order to succeed as a manager, philosophical concepts need to be applied to the obedience and only then will the obedience be linked to greatness.

No comments: